I think we are all a little more health concious in January and I for one wanted to give myself a little boost to start the New Year well!
I had definitely heard previously that lemon water in the morning had lots of health benefits but I didn’t really know what they were… what I didn’t know what that Lemons contain lots of nutrients such as vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber – sounds good already doesn’t it!
- It reduces inflammation – decrease the acidity in your body which is where disease states occur
- Aids digestion – Lemon juice not only encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract, it helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating.
- Helps you lose weight – Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings. We’ll take it!!
- Cleanse your system – It helps flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver. I think all our livers could do with some love after Christmas!
- Keeps your skin blemish free – The antioxidants in lemon juice help to not only decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too! It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it’s detoxifying your blood, it will maintain your skin’s radiance.
- Gives your immune system a boost – Vitamin C is like our immune system’s jumper cables, and lemon juice is full of it. The level of vitamin C in your system is one of the first things to plummet when you’re stressed, which is why experts recommended popping extra vitamin C during especially stressful days.
- Excellent source of potassium – As already mentioned, lemons are high in potassium, which is good for heart health, as well as brain and nerve function.
- Freshens your breath – It also helps relieve toothaches and gingivitis (say wha?). Because the citric acid can erode tooth enamel, either hold off on brushing your teeth after drinking lemon water or brush your teeth before drinking it.
- Give you an energy boost – Lemon juice provides your body with energy when it enters your digestive tract, and it also helps reduce anxiety and depression. (Even the scent of lemons has a calming effect on your nervous system!)
- Helps to cut out caffeine – I didn’t believe this until I tried it, but replacing my morning coffee with a cup of hot lemon water has really done wonders! I feel refreshed, and no longer have to deal with that pesky afternoon crash. Plus, my nerves are thankful.
- Helps fight viral infections – Warm lemon water is the most effective way to diminish viral infections and their subsequent sore throats. Plus, with the lemon juice also boosting your immune system, you’ll simultaneously fight off the infection completely.
As we all go running wildly to the supermarkets!!